Creating ICT rich lessons, with a little bit of help from TIP

Yes you read it correctly, another framework.  This time, The Technology and Integration Planning framework, also known as TIP will be used to guide learning experiences.  I will be taking an adaption of TIP offered by Mike Wheadon (2011), to guide the development of rich ICT experiences.  This framework has some similarities to others that I have been exposed to during this course, however it also has its differences.  The course examiner has reinforced that the reason for the variety of frameworks that we have been exposed to can be attributed to the different learning design focuses that each framework focuses upon.

I am liking the look of the adapted TIP framework, it uses questions to guide the development of lessons and relies heavily on the initial identification of a problem to solve.  This framework isn’t meant to be used in isolation, rather it should be used in conjunction with other frameworks to implement rich ICT lessons.

Wheadon states (2011): “At all points in the framework it is essential to ask questions which keep a focus on why ICT is being integrated into the activity or unit of work. If the integration of ICT is not being used to enhance the learning experience in some way, but is merely a substitution for existing techniques, then opportunities to improve the learning experience are lost. It is also important for teachers making a change to integrate ICT that they see its benefits”

This quote very much sums up the significance of asking questions during the planning phase to ensure effective and efficient integration of ICT’s.

You can check out Wheadon’s (2011) adapted TIP framework below. Please click on the picture to be taken to Wheadon’s (2011) adapted model.

I will now be taking into consideration two principles:  enhancing and changing.   Have I made provisions of advantage (enhancing) and have I done something new that may have not been possible prior (changing)?  These two questions will allow me to evaluate my lessons prior to implementation.

This weeks learning path encouraged us to consider a learning problem, its technology solution and advantage in the weekly forum.  I decided to reflect on a problem I had seen earlier, during some volunteer work with my mentor.  Here is my post:

Kelly
Students cannot see relevance of concepts to their lives (maths-area and budgeting)
by Kelly Frintzilas – Monday, 22 April 2013, 9:34 PM

I have witnessed the use of a scenario where students were required to use the Mitre 10 site to design a kitchen within a specified budget.  Doing this, they were able to apply knowledge in a way that allowed them to form a connection between learning (area) and real life.  Working out the areas of appliances etc., and using the visual website, allowed them to design a kitchen and demonstrate their understanding, something they would have not been able to do otherwise.  They were able to manipulate the appliances, cabinetry etc., to not only meet the budget specified by the teacher but to demonstrate their understanding of area.  They were given a specific area to work with, in which they had to ensure they had sufficient and required appliances etc. within the area of their kitchen.

From this posting, you can see the identification of a problem (students cannot see relevance of concepts to their lives, maths-area and budgeting), the technology solution (Mitre 10 site – kitchen design) and the advantage (allowed them to do something they wouldn’t be able to otherwise and allowed a connection between real-life concepts and the mathematical concepts they were learning).

I think it is useful to use a problem as the basis for learning activities when looking to incorporate ICT’s.  If I can use this framework among the many others I have been introduced to, I will be well on my way to creating some superb ICT learning experiences on my practicum.

References

Wheadon, M. (2011,September 26). The Technology Integration Model [Web log comment]. Retrieved from http://blendingict.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/the-technology-integration-planning-model/

6 thoughts on “Creating ICT rich lessons, with a little bit of help from TIP

1. Pingback: Technology and Integration Planning Framework « EDC3100

2. Pingback: Sarah EDC3100 - TIP model

3. Pingback: Swimming through the world of ICT's - Technology Integration Planning Model (TIP)

4. Pingback: TIP

5. Pingback: Week Nine In Review | Kinder Bytes

6. Pingback: Week 9 – ICT Rich Lesson Plans | My Jouney through edc3100